Sunday, January 10, 2016

Bring on the Girls ~or~ Old Friends*




My odyssey through Wodehouse’s nonfiction is not going well for me, I’m afraid.  This month’s selection was co-written with Guy Bolton, who was Wodehouse’s writing partner during his Great White Way days in the opening decades of the twentieth century.  I’m not all that great when it comes to these sort of memoirs, especially since I am not as au fait about this world as I would like to be.   My main problem is that this is the type of book that drops a lot of names of the theatrical denizens of that time.  I perhaps caught about a third of them.  While I was reading the book, I could not shake the feeling that I was listening to gossip at a cocktail party about people I’ve never met.  There were a couple of nice anecdotes about Noel Coward, who is a particular favorite of mine.  For me, the best part was a description about Ethel Wodehouse’s indomitable spirit.  It was good to hear that she possessed the type of fortitude that is desperately necessary when living with an artistic type.

The fact that I did not recognize many of these names was comforting in an odd way.  Whenever I am confronted by popular culture, there are particular individuals who make me wince.  From now on, I can comfort myself somewhat with the knowledge that, in a few decades’ time, they might elicit the same response that I had regarding Justine Johnstone: “Who?”  Immortality is never guaranteed. 

Wodehouse’s relationship with Bolton did not cease with their collaborations.  They lived near one another on Long Island.  A brief Wikipedia scan told me that they walked together frequently, stopping only when Plum died.  Just as it was delightful to finally get a glimpse of Ethel, it is oddly comforting to know that Wodehouse did have a chum with whom to share his gifted lunacy.  The thought of the two of them toddling along the roads in their dotage is a very sweet one. 

*Read November 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment