Friday, October 30, 2015

The Medium Apple ~or ~ The Small Bachelor*



This was a delightful book, full of speakeasies and raids as well as other amusements from New York in the 1920’s.  The book is based on a musical comedy script, and I can easily see how this would work as a stage production: not too many sets, action occurring in a tight timeframe to cut down on costume changes, that sort of thing.**  There are some excellent descriptions of the neighborhoods, and these got me to thinking.  Despite living on the East Coast, I am not terribly familiar with the city of New York.  This is not to say that I have not traveled there.  The truth is that I have probably managed to pay my respects to Gotham about every one to two years, which is not bad given the state of things.  

I am both blessed and cursed by my hosts and/or traveling companions.  It seems that whenever I set foot in the metropolis, I have the good fortune to be with people who are current or past residents, meaning that they know their way around blindfolded.  From the moment that I alight from either a train station or an airport, I am whisked away by cabs and people barking knowledgeably about east this and west that, and whether it’s a good idea to go through the park.  It all goes by so quickly that my modus operandi is to sit still, say nothing, and offer prayers of thanksgiving when we inevitably make it to our destination on time and in one piece.  I am amazed by the fact that everyone seems to know instinctively how to discern the cardinal points, which I understand are key in navigating the city.  To be honest, the only time I know my north from my south is when I’m at my house, because it’s crucial for gardening.  I have a southern-facing garden, so woe betide me if I get any ideas of planting, say, impatiens or any other low-light flower in my beds. 

Many people have told me that the grid system makes getting through the city very easy indeed.  That would be true if one took away the blaring noises of horns and pedestrians who are understandably annoyed by a middle-aged tourist flailing around in the middle of the sidewalk trying to get an idea of where the sun is.  Because I can indeed figure out directions given the sun.  The only problem is that the city’s architects and planning department have insisted on constructing all of these tall buildings that obscure that useful celestial object.  My strength is, oddly enough, underground.  Give me the name of a stop and I can generally find my way there.  It helps that the subway system has maps on the wall, so I don’t have to waste valuable space unfurling one.  I have surprised myself by being able to pick my way around the city, although this should not be too much of a shock given that I’m familiar with the underground systems in five other cities.  The problem is that my friends seem to insist on traveling by foot or cab, thereby rendering me a useless lump along for the ride when we are en route.  If I were more paranoid, I would suspect that some sort of a plot was afoot among them. 

Certainly the city must have changed since Wodehouse’s day.  New York of the 1920’s is probably a distant memory in most parts.  Although Wodehouse lived until the 1970’s, I cannot offhand say that he often traveled into the city.  Perhaps he would be just as confused as I am about getting around if he were plonked in Times Square today, which is, admittedly, only cold comfort to my bruised pride. 

*Read August 2015

**Something else about this book that made me start is the fact that one of the characters, while working as a clairvoyant, takes the name Madame Eulalie.  Those of you who have had their second (or third, or, in my case, fourth) cup of coffee today might have noticed that it is also the name of the lingerie firm owned by Roderick Spode, the would-be dictator in the Jeeves and Wooster universe.  This makes me wonder if Wodehouse was referring to the Poe poem of the same name, which is yet another ponderable for me to consider when I have some free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment