Monday, January 30, 2017

Galahad at Blandings ~or~ Uncoiling the Spring*




The nice thing about taking a chronological approach to this last leg of my Reading Wodehouse challenge is that I am finishing up with some strong examples of a master still in possession of his talents.  I don’t believe that Overlook published the books in order by publication year, although they very sweetly held off on publishing Sunset at Blandings, the unfinished book that awaits me in April, to the very end.  Who knows why.  Certainly I know very little about the publishing world.**  Perhaps it was a rights issues, occupying a team of copyright lawyers for months on end.  Perhaps someone just wanted to get his or her favorite ones out first, and then felt a twinge of remorse looking at the other, neglected titles.  Perhaps they were led by the data analytics that seems to lead a great many people these days, to varying effects.***  Who knows, the publication order might have just as easily been determined by throwing a dart at a list.

The book is a masterclass in plotting and the result is so skillful that I deeply wish I had a Galahad Threepwood in my life.  There really is not much else that I can say about this book except that if one is in need of a mental diversion, and after the past few months I think this applies to anyone, regardless of what side of the political divide you fall on, this is just the ticket.  It seems that when Wodehouse himself was in need of a diversion when he wrote the book.  It was published in 1964 and refers to the 1929 stock market crash as if it was a recent event.  It’s not often that we get such an exact historical marker for a book, and indeed, I have seen some of the later titles adapt to modern times by having the leads be stewardesses instead of private secretaries.  This makes me wonder if Plum needed an out as well.  Modern life, even fifty years ago, can be too much. 


*Read January 2017

**The little I do know of it is via an old friend of mine who is a literary agent.  The life is not as glamorous as one might think.  Her old office was plagued by a race of super mice who took no notice of the mind-scrambling sonic traps that were scattered around the place.  She also works all the hours God sends and has told me stories of deeply uncivilized behavior.  Never mind the fact that everyone is running about gleefully proclaiming that print is dead.  It’s enough to make one consider establishing a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty for the Literary Field. 

***Off-topic maybe, but this calls to mind the recent reboot by Netflix of the Gilmore Girls series.  The stories chronicling the decision to commission these episodes stated that the executives were impressed by how many people were still watching it on the service.  They then took the Give the People What They Want approach (often a mistake and possibly an explanation for the deluge of superhero movies drowning our local multiplexes).  My suspicion is that it paid off dividends for the company, although I was annoyed by a great deal of the story.  Sometimes, just because you can do something does not mean that it will be executed wonderfully, and I believe that the creative duo responsible for the show ultimately did their creation a disservice.  Artistic vision often needs to be tempered; just look at what the sonnet format did with Shakespeare’s brilliance.  I do hope that the producers of Will and Grace are listening somewhere, because I have Grave Concerns about that endeavor, which was nicely wrapped up years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment