Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Code of the Wodehouses ~or~ The Prince and Betty*




“‘I’m so tired of money - money - money.  Everything’s money.  Isn’t there a man in the world who won’t sell himself?’” (The Price and Betty, p. 105).

My longstanding practice of not beginning a post with a quotation is now over.**  The line is delivered by a woman who believes that the man who makes her heart go pitter-pat is only interested in her for financial gain.  Fortunately for our heroine, this is not the case.  But I am getting ahead of myself.

This is yet another play that was adapted into a novel, this time in 1912.***  There is a bit more evidence of this than I would like, mostly in the form of long descriptions of the inner lives of the main characters.  Although I have not made an exhaustive study of it, my memory seems to tell me that the straight-on novels had little of this inner turmoil and got straight on with the zippy dialogue and plot.  The plot is a wee bit thin, but the again, I suspect I cannot really expect too much complexity from what I suspect was meant to be a light-hearted stage production .

What is most typically Wodehousian about this book is its obsession with money.  It has been interesting for me to take on this project at this time in the world’s financial history.  We have been witness to epic losses, and are now hopefully living through the long slow recovery that I, for one, was praying for.****  Wodehouse also lived through some interesting financial times, what with two world wars and the Depression.  His use of money as a catalyst to action is a constant, perhaps replaced only later by requests from demanding aunts, although even these sometimes have a financial motivation. 

What only struck my dense mind now, eighty-odd books into this project, is that there seems to be an underlying code to Wodehouse’s feelings surrounding the acquisition of wealth.  It’s perfectly all right to suddenly inherit it and acceptable to live off of an allowance.  Those who have earned their fortunes are sometimes suspect, but they generally turn out to be good sorts in the end.  The same, however, cannot be said for those who plot to come by money by nefarious means.  This being Wodehouse, the meaning of the word nefarious can be a little tainted.  Sometimes, it seems that this does not apply to thieves, who as far as I can tell about the Wodehousian money code belong with the earners.  No, the worst of the lot are perfectly distilled into the character of Lord Arthur, who is only interested in marrying the heroine because she is related to a moneybags.  One can steal, one can scheme and be all right in Plum’s universe, but shame on those who would betray emotions.  Wodehouse might be one of the last bastions of chivalry. 


*Read May 2016

**This was not, precisely, intentional, but I just discovered it to be the case, so I’m leading with this bombshell.

***The observant amongst you will note that my reading order is not strictly chronological, given that last month’s book was published in 1916.  I blame the fatigue that reigns in my household, which has bene brought on by endeavoring to keep four small beings – two human, two feline- alive.

****This is because I am, by training and by temperament, an historian, and if there is one thing that drooling over dusty tomes has taught me, it is that one does not want things to happen too quickly.  Things that flare up quickly have a nasty habit of going horrifically wrong.  Just look at the Arab Spring movement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment