Thursday, November 6, 2014

Everything Old...



I do not understand the current hipster fascination with facial hair, especially mustaches.  This is probably one of many signs that I am on the precipice of fogey-dom.  It is not something that particularly worries me.  Then again, perhaps the very fact that I am reading the collected Wodehouse is a billboard pointing to the fact that I do not mingle well with the hip and with-it.
 
What further perplexes me is not that mustaches adorn the upper lips of select gentlemen, but that they have made their way onto an alarming array of goods including, but not limited to, necklaces, automobiles, t-shirts, and pacifiers.*  There must be some humor that I’m failing to grasp, much like my inability to enjoy The Flight of the Conchords as much as everyone seemed to.

It would seem that, once again, I have a comrade-in-arms in Wodehouse.  One of the stories in “Lord Emsworth and Others” features a mustache growing contest between two local worthies.  At the height of the action one of them is shaved off in the dead of night.  When the denuded victim of the prank appears the next day, everyone is delighted by his appearance and remarks how much better he looks. 

Mustaches in Wodehouse seem to be reserved for the older set.  I remember at one point that Bertie attempted to grow one, but was ultimately convinced by Jeeves to part with it.  One gets the sense that they are vestiges of the Victorian age, something that is not embodied in the frothiness of Bertie and his gang.  A man with a mustache in Wodehouse is a figure of fun, although perhaps not meant in the same way that it is today, since I cannot imagine one of Wodehouse’s characters in skinny jeans and a knit beanie. 

*I do stand firm in my belief that the former UK PM John Major would have benefited from a mustache.  It might have lent him an air of panache that his administration sorely lacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment